Let’s face it – most pharmacists are burnt out. In fact, more than half are. A study from American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy revealed that 53.2% of health-system pharmacists reported scores indicating a high degree of burnout. Also a 2017 study among clinical pharmacists also showed high levels of emotional exhaustion (61%)!!! I personally experienced this working at a national retail chain for 8 months back in 2018-19.
I had always worked in independent pharmacy, which had some more flexibility, but chain retail was a whole other beast. I was working two 12 hour shifts back to back without meal breaks, while being surrounded by a toxic work environment. Needless to say, my mental health began to decline. I can recall having a panic attack during one of my shifts. A few weeks later, I quit. I’d had my own side hustle (I was also a trained health coach) for years, but the money I made from it was not enough to sustain my livelihood.
So when I quit my retail job in April 2019 (with no back up income to fall on), I hired a business coach and invested a pretty penny – to the tune of $18k. It was the best decision I ever made. I wound up learning how to monetize my gifts and work in my zone-of-genius…and I made $10k that month. Seven months later, I had replaced my pharmacist income and since then, I’ve grown my business to multiple six-figures. And I never looked back…. Now I help visionary pharmacists transform so they can scale their side hustle and do what lights them up. Join our Monetize Your Magic group here. Pharmacists are so knowledgeable and can package their skills in unique ways to create supplemental income. There are so many ways to earn supplemental income as a pharmacist with a side hustle… Here are some ideas.
- Start a coaching business…and scale it!
Yes, you can create a coaching or consulting business and work from home coaching others with your area of expertise. I’ve helped so many pharmacists and entrepreneurs create lucrative coaching businesses in functional medicine, health coaching, emotional intelligence, and plenty more. In my Monetize Your Magic e-course, I help pharmacists develop their Signature Offer/Program, soul aligned marketing strategy, and create profitable businesses coaching clients on what they love. They can work remotely and grow their business to the level of income and impact that they choose!
- Take pharmacist surveys
I’ve taken surveys on M3 Research company and enjoy their flexible paid studies and fast payments for supplemental income. Whether you’re a hospital or retail pharmacist, they have all sorts of surveys for you to take to earn extra money from home and help improve patient treatment/outcomes. Click HERE to sign up for free using my affiliate link!
- Create a YouTube channel
I’ve been putting up YouTube videos for years and now it’s easier than ever. You can literally create videos from your phone or computer and monetize them to make some extra side cash and build your following if you have a brand or business. Passive income is the way to go. Long gone are the days of doing things in person a thousand times over. Do you hear yourself telling your patients or clients the same things over and over? You can duplicate yourself by recording videos, podcasts, trainings, etc and sell them! By doing this, you can reach thousands and millions of people. Here is my channel – www.youtube.com/christinatarantola1
- Create a podcast
This is another easy option to consider. I took Dr. Bryan McElderry’s podcast course and started my own podcast, The Illuminated Feminine podcast, in less than 1 day. You can also monetize your podcast with mid-roll advertisements and have different guests on to reach new audiences.
- Craft a PDF guide or assets (meditations) to sell
This is another great option for a passive income stream. You can create valuable content pertaining to your audience’s needs and sell it on your website. I created a guide called Your Sacred Space – 7 Releasing Rituals to Liberate Space for Magic & Blessings and sell it on my website shop page.
- Host virtual or in-person retreats or events
Why not host a virtual retreat or in-person retreat? I’ve hosted many – both in person and virtual! I’ve also created many paid virtual events/webinars to help people with everything from stress management to building their business.
- Write an e-book (or a paperback book)
I’ve written 2 e-books, 4 paperback books, and have 1 audiobook. Again, passive income is the way to go. If you’re a coach, the beautiful thing about a book or e-book is that you are giving value as well as increase the KLT (know, like, and trust) factor. That way, if someone wants to work with you, they’ll get to know you through your books, videos, content, etc.
- Participate in affiliate programs
This means collaborating with other pharmacists or partners to share their events or content and you get a portion of the sale. You can also do affiliate marketing with blogging by promoting other brands that you love and trust!
9. Create an e-course! You can do this through Teachable or Kajabi and make passive income teaching what you love to talk about anyway! I created a course called The Quantum Queen e-course to help entrepreneurs release blocks holding them back so they can own their confidence and power. I prefer Kajabi over Teachable…even though it is more of an investment than Teachable for a few reasons – #1. the customer service is impeccable, #2. their tutorial videos make it so easy to create literally anything – products, pages to host podcast episodes, etc. #3. after you create products, you can also have an option to give affiliate commission for anyone who wants to refer that product. Win-win in my book!
10. Developing a VIP day package Do you have a coaching business and want to create an unforgettable client experience? Have a half-day or full-day VIP package that you offer your clients where you have a laser focused day to dive deeper with them for their transformation. Some other ideas are to write for a pharmacy magazine (I wrote for Pharmacy Times for a while there!) or work remotely doing Medication Therapy Management reviews.
Needless to say there are endless ways to be creative and also make extra money. What was your favorite suggestion? Let me know!
Here are some helpful free resources you can use and implement NOW to help you amplify your income and impact!
Get your free Ascension meditation bundle here – This is a compilation of 15 of my best meditations to help you release blocks holding you back!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel – for more videos on transformation, business, and healing for empath entrepreneurs
Dr. Christina Fontana is a former pharmacist, author, hypnotherapist, and transformation coach. She blends hypnotherapy, quantum physics, spirituality, and intuitive coaching to help visionary women accelerate the path to their big vision. She’s the Creator of Strategic Ascension Leadership Academy that helps aspiring entrepreneurs transform so they can accelerate to their next level of income & impact.
For the last 10 years, Dr. Christina has been providing uplifting, spiritual content through her YouTube videos, articles, books, and her podcast The Illuminated Feminine Podcast. Feel free to connect with Dr. Christina on her website, by email, or on her Facebook page! www.enlightenedwellnessPA.com [email protected]
- Durham ME, Bush PW, Ball AM. Evidence of burnout in health-system pharmacists. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2018 Dec 1;75(23 Supplement 4):S93-S100; 2018. doi: 10.2146/ajhp170818. Epub 2018 Oct 17.
- El-Ibiary SY, Yam L, Lee KC. Assessment of burnout and associated risk factors among pharmacy practice faculty in the United States. Am J Pharm Educ, 81(4): 75; 2017.
**I will receive a small commission through M3 Global Research if you sign up for surveys. This allows me to create more free content. Thank you for your support.